September 17, 2011
A man with a weapon allegedly entered the base on Friday, causing the base to go into “crisis action mode,” and the officials locked down the base for the safety and security of the people on Davis-Monthan, the Associated Press quoted Sgt. James Russell Martin of the base’s media relations office as saying.
Martin said, “No shots have been fired and no one has been hurt.”
“Security is going to be in place until base leadership feels the situation is under control,” Martin stated. “We’re just going to make sure we maintain heightened security until we feel everything is safe and secure.”
Davis-Monthan is one of Tucson’s largest employers with up to 8,500 people on the base at any single time.
Davis-Monthan is located next to the Pima Air and Space Museum and the “boneyard” for old military and government airplanes, a popular destination for aviation enthusiasts.
Two ambulances and two fire trucks were sent to the base, according to Tucson Fire Department spokeswoman Trish Tracy. However, officials said “it had nothing to do with the security situation” and the vehicles were called because a pregnant member of the community was being taken to the hospital.
Earlier this year a gunman seriously wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killed six people in a suburban area northwest of Tucson.
During the lockdown on Friday, students were kept in schools on the base. Traffic was reduced to a single point entry; vehicles lined up at the base’s main gate and were being turned around, Senior Airman Timothy Dunaway said.
This article was posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 7:07 am