Big Brother To Decide If You Drive
245 million Americans to be forced to undergo "guilty until proven innocent" breathalyzer tests just to start their cars if plan proceeds
Prison Planet | November 20, 2006
Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones
Just when you thought the Orwellian Big Brother society couldn't possibly accelerate further, it gets even worse. A move is afoot to force 245 million drivers in America to have alcohol breathalyzers fitted in their vehicles, ignition interlocks that prevent the vehicle from being started by an inebriant.
"The threat of arrest and punishment, for decades the primary tactic against drunken drivers, is no longer working in the struggle to reduce the death toll, officials say, and they are proposing turning to technology — alcohol detection devices in every vehicle — to address the problem," reports the New York Times .
In addition, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers today began a campaign to make all states pass legislation that mandates these devices be placed in all cars of drunk drivers, even if they are just a first time offender.
Mandatory breathalyzers in all vehicles is just one item in a veritable surveillance package that all drivers will be forced to accept if they wish to use America's roads and highways.
- GPS tracking and taxation black boxes are being pushed to coincide with the construction of the NAFTA Superhighway, where all vehicles will be forced to use toll roads and will have their every movement catalogued by spy satellites in alliance with a massive centralized database.
- US citizens will be forced to adopt a de-facto national identification card and have their freedom of mobility defined by behavioral fealty to the government under proposals set to derive from NAFTA superhighway toll road systems and the implementation of the American Union.
- Biometric eye scanners that can detect tiredness and deny mobility if the system judges the driver to be fatigued are being proposed for individual vehicle use after being utilized by police in Australia.
- Proposals are in play to install surveillance cameras in all cars, especially in areas where legislation has been passed that bans the individual from smoking in their own car if a child is also present.
- In March 2004, Toyota launched its concept car of the future - a literal behavior modification surveillance center on wheels - festooned with Big Brother technology - that will record every nuance and error the driver exhibits, and will limit its performance based on those factors, including refusing to turn itself on. Industry publications and other motor industry giants have also touted surveillance infested vehicles as the model for all future development.
The installation of mandatory breathalyzers in all vehicles by law is a death knell for freedom of mobility and directly violates the 4th amendment, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
The following points also illustrate why the move is a dangerous and harebrained idea.
- Though billed as a "non-profit organization," Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a front group for the auto industry and has been caught in the past stealing money it raises through telemarketing . The American Institute of Philanthropy has given MADD poor grades for its high bureaucratic and fundraising costs.
- MADD advocates warrantless random roadblocks and checkpoints to supposedly find drunk drivers, violating the U.S. constitution and instilling fear into people for simply having a glass of wine with their meal.
- Apologists for the program cite seatbelts as an example of a security measure that was beneficial, yet don't understand the slippery slide to fascism that inevitably comes as a result of restricting mobility.
- Drunks kill around 40,000 people a year and yet prescription drugs kill over 200,000. Medical malpractice kills over 300,000 - but the media hasn't brainwashed Americans to be fearful or upset about the bigger dangers and so they don't care. The hyped specter of drunk driving deaths manipulates whining do-gooders to call for their own enslavement, anything to save a few lives.
- In the majority of areas in the south-west, around half of DWI's involve illegal aliens, but nobody is prepared to face up to that problem. A study by the Highway Safety Research Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill found Hispanic drivers involved in crashes were three times more likely to be drunk than white or black drivers.
As Paul McNamara of Network World points out, the potential ramifications for fitting every car with such a device are ominous.
"There is, of course, the straightforward civil libertarian question: Why should those who have never been convicted of drunken driving be compelled to prove they are innocent before being allowed to operate their own cars? This baby seems to have been tossed with the bathwater long ago in a country where drug testing has become routine, but you can expect the die-hards to be heard anew."
"How far down the technology slope are we sliding? Certainly, any such standard automobile equipment could include a record-keeping component. Will attempted drunken driving become a crime? There could be no denying the deterrent effect of such a new law. Three rejected start attempts and you lose your license? Five and the ignition is permanently disabled? Certainly the advocates will make the case than an ounce of prevention beats even one more highway fatality."
"What about networking? Will the data be wirelessly transmitted to your local police department? Why not? It would clearly help law enforcement target and keep tabs on the recidivists. And the cops will need to know when to pull your license for that third strike.
"TerrorStorm is something that should be seen by everyone, no matter what their stance/affiliation/political bent. " - Rich Rosell, Digitally Obsessed UK
Get TerrorStorm on DVD today
Infowars.com is Copyright 2006 Alex Jones | Fair Use Notice