Anti-war protest placards seized
Press Association | May 23 2006
Police have removed placards belonging to anti-war protester Brian Haw at his long-running demonstration outside Parliament.
Mr Haw said he had been left with just one placard after officers took the action over alleged breaches of his demonstration conditions.
Earlier this month, Court of Appeal judges overturned a ruling that allowed him to carry out his round-the-clock vigil which he began in June 2001.
Mr Haw, who was not evicted from Parliament Square, said his large display of anti-war banners, placards and flags had been "completely destroyed".
He said: "They have left me with just (one) placard. All of my personal belongings have been taken and dumped in a container along with nearly all the displays.
"They have completely destroyed all the expressions of people who opposed the war in Iraq. What gives them the legal right to remove 40m of evidence of genocide and reduce it to just 3m?"
The legal size of the protest - 3m - was imposed by the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (Socpa) 2005.
A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard confirmed officers attended the scene at 2.35am.
She said: "The Metropolitan Police Service removed placards from a demonstration site as per conditions related to size and supervision imposed in relation to notice to demonstrate under Socpa.
"This action was taken due to continual breaches of the conditions imposed on the demonstration. This action follows a number of requests to the applicant to adhere to the conditions, which he has failed to comply with."
INFOWARS: BECAUSE THERE'S A WAR ON FOR YOUR MIND
Infowars.com is Copyright 2006 Alex Jones | Fair Use Notice