Egyptians Arrested In Newark, No Terror Link
1010 WINS | July 26, 2005
Five Egyptians are in federal custody, accused of being in the country illegally, after an anonymous tipster told police that they were terrorists, the FBI said Tuesday.
``The investigation is continuing, but so far there is no nexus to terrorism,'' said FBI Special Agent Steven Siegel, a spokesman for the Newark office. None of the five, nor a sixth Egyptian man with whom they lived, is on any watch list, he said.
No criminal charges have been filed, said Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office.
The five will face deportation, Siegel said.
They were arrested Sunday evening at a residence in the city's Ironbound section, Siegel said.
Newark police, who had responded to the 911 tip call, contacted the FBI after becoming suspicious about responses to their questions and noticing a train schedule with some stops circled, Siegel said.
``They also had some video cameras with some tourist-type video on it and $8,000 in cash sitting there,'' he said.
No weapons were found, and bomb-sniffing dogs did not alert handlers to anything suspicious, he said.
As it turned out, the train schedule was the route that one of the five, Mohamed Ibrahim Gaber, 34, mapped to get to work at a New York restaurant, Siegel said. Gaber was among five people who jumped ship in Baltimore in 2000; the others have already been caught, he said.
Also in custody are Karim Ahmed Abdel Latif Ahmed, 21; his brother, Mahmoud Ahmed Abdel Latif Ahmed, 19; Ahmed Mohamed Atta, 30; and Ibrahim Mohamed Sameh Mahboub, 24. Their hometowns in Egypt were not immediately available, he said.
All worked illegally in ``menial'' jobs, Siegel said.
The sixth man, Mohamed Talat Anwar Hozain, 24, is in the country legally, he said.