North Korea “will continue to build up a defensive nuclear arsenal for the defense of its ideology and system”, the embassy of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea in Moscow said Thursday by way of response to statements by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Itar-Tass news agency reported.
The embassy described as “not thought through” the recent statements by Rice, in which she called for the resumption of six-party talks without withdrawing her earlier statements where she called North Korea a “tyrant state”.
This approach, the diplomatic mission believes, “contradicts the logic of things and in the end, is equivalent to rejecting six-party talks”. The participants of the talks process, the last round of which took place last June, are the two Korean states, Russia, China, the U.S. and Japan.
“It is even difficult to imagine that the DPRK would go to these talks with the demeaning label of ’outpost of tyranny’,” the embassy announced. “If the United States is so eager to resume the talks, they should behave realistically.”
The mission believes that “Rice once again exposed the hostile intentions of the U.S. and its desire to achieve isolation of the DPRK at any cost”. In this light, the embassy suggested, “the building up of a defensive nuclear arsenal by the republic is justified a hundred and thousand-fold”.
Earlier this week North Korea bitterly refused any dealings with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, as the top U.S. diplomat began a six-day visit to Asia seeking a breakthrough in the two-year standoff over the North’s nuclear weapons program.
The nuclear crisis deepened last month when North Korea announced it had nuclear weapons and said it would boycott international disarmament talks because of U.S. hostility toward its government.
Rice is to visit South Korea on Saturday after a stop in Japan, and will meet with President Roh Moo-hyun and other top officials before heading to China for more consultations on the crisis.