September 18, 2008
US President George W. Bush will not attack Iran to halt its nuclear weapons program before his term ends in January, David Wurmser, a key national security adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney up until last year, has told The Jerusalem Post.
“No, Bush won’t go,” Wurmser said when asked whether he thought the US president would want to take military action before he left office.
Wurmser’s comments came after a day-long roundtable this week in Brussels on nuclear nonproliferation sponsored by the European Jewish Congress.
“Two things have to be in place for there to be an attack,” Wurmser said. “That time has run out, and that diplomacy has run out. The feeling to a large extent now is that diplomacy is working, that there is a trend in the regime toward moderation, that pressure is building on the regime.”
Wurmser said his certainty that no US action was in the works had to do with the fact that US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice now clearly had the upper hand in the administration in her struggle with Cheney. Rice and Cheney have represented two different schools of thought in the Bush administration, with Cheney advocating a tough line against Iran, often brandishing the possibility of a military strike, while Rice advocated letting the diplomatic process and sanctions run their course.
This article was posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:52 am