- Infowars - http://www.infowars.com -
Global financial crisis sparks unrest
Posted By admin On February 2, 2009 @ 10:28 am In Economic Crisis | Comments Disabled
February 2, 2009
Here are some details of protests and developments as a result of the global financial crisis:
– Hundreds of thousands of strikers marched in French cities on Thursday to demand pay rises and job protection. Some protesters clashed with police, but no major violence was reported.
– The one-day strike failed to paralyse the country and support from private sector workers appeared limited. Labour leaders hailed the action, which marked the first time France’s eight union federations had joined forces against the government since President Nicolas Sarkozy took office in 2007.
– Thousands of opposition supporters rallied in Moscow and the far east port of Vladivostok on Saturday in a national day of protests over hardships caused by the financial crisis. On Sunday hundreds of demonstrators in Moscow called for Russia’s leaders to resign.
– Street rallies were held in almost every major city over the weekend. The pro-Kremlin United Russia party also drew thousands to rallies in support of government anti-crisis measures.
– About 100 protesters were arrested in Vladivostok last month during protests against hikes in second hand car import duties aimed at protecting jobs in the domestic car industry.
Article printed from Infowars: http://www.infowars.com
URL to article: http://www.infowars.com/global-financial-crisis-sparks-unrest/
Copyright © 2013 Infowars. All rights reserved.