Get ready for a gunfight.
Attorney General Eric Holder is using the drug violence in Mexico to “confuse and mislead” Americans in an attempt to reinstate the expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban, gun advocates claim.
[efoods]Holder revealed his intention to reinstate the ban last month while announcing more than 700 arrests in connection with a crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the United States.
“As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to re-institute the ban on the sale of assault weapons,” Holder said. “I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum.”
Holder said reinstating the ban would decrease the flow of guns from the U.S. into Mexico. He declined to offer a timeframe for any re-implementation; Justice Department spokesman Matt Miller also declined comment on Tuesday.
But Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, told FOXNews.com that Holder’s “argument in general is bizarre.”
This article was posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm