Hillary Clinton refused on Wednesday to answer direct questions about her claim — one she reportedly made to the FBI last month — that former Sec. of State Colin Powell advised her at a 2009 dinner party to use a personal email account.
“I’m not going to re-litigate in public my private conversations with him,” Clinton told CNN’s Anderson Cooper in an interview, her first national interview in nearly a month.
Clinton’s hesitation in discussing the dinner party claims is no surprise given that both Powell and former Sec. of State Condoleezza Rice, who also attended the now-infamous dinner party, have publicly said they do not recall the exchange.
Last week, The New York Times and NBC News reported that Clinton told FBI investigators that Powell twice suggested to her that she use a personal email account as secretary of state.