December 3, 2008
India on Wednesday warned that all options were open in dealing with Pakistan after last week’s attacks on Mumbai, as the United States pressured Islamabad to show urgent cooperation with the probe.
- A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Speaking at a joint news conference with visiting US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee said there was “no doubt” that the militants had come from and were coordinated from Pakistan .
“What action will be taken by the government will depend on the response we have from the Pakistan authorities,” he said, referring to India’s demand that Pakistan hand over 20 terrorist suspects.
“I am expecting the response, (and) after obtaining the response, whatever the government considers necessary to protect its territorial integrity, safety and security of its citizens, the government will do that,” he warned.
He said he had told Rice “that there is no doubt the terrorists were individuals who came from Pakistan and whose controllers are in Pakistan.”
The attacks against India’s economic capital — which began a week ago and lasted 60 hours — were carried out by 10 gunmen, some of whom arrived by boat.
Indian security forces captured one of the militants , and officials say he has admitted to being a Pakistani from Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Islamist group based across the border and long seen as a creation of Pakistan’s shadowy spy service.