April 2, 2012
Less than a month after their 30-minute Kony 2012 video was released on the Internet only to go viral, California-based advocacy group Invisible Children say they will unleash a follow-up film this week.
Invisible Children’s director of ideology, Jedidiah Jenkins, told reporters over the weekend that his non-profit group is readying a sequel to last month’s documentary on Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony. After releasing the Kony 2012 film in early March, the group made the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army a household name, essentially succeeding in an attempt to raise awareness of the wrongdoings of the LRA commander. Now the group’s next attempt at immortalizing Kony in an effort to bring justice to the Ugandan people is expected to be released on Tuesday, says Jenkins.
Only weeks since the first Kony 2012 film became a worldwide sensation, however, there are doubts on what success the next flick by way of Invisible Children will have at ousting the Ugandan warlord. In the wake of last month’s movie, the directors behind the documentary were met with a backlash of criticism from skeptics concerned over the true intentions of the filmmakers. Stories were quick to circulate revealing that only a fraction from the non-profits revenue goes towards advocacy work, the damage of which was enough to prompt Invisible Children to release a follow-up film attempting to answer questions of their internal operations. Before the group could reclaim the support that came immediately following the release of Kony 2012, however, co-founder Jason Russell notoriously was nabbed by police after making a scene in downtown San Diego, California.
This article was posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 at 11:06 am