December 20, 2008
NEW YORK – Facing a growing chorus of angry investors, disgraced financier Bernard Madoff lost his right to leave his home Friday and was ordered to hire private around-the-clock security guards to protect him. U.S. Magistrate Judge Theodore H. Katz approved the revised bail conditions after prosecutors sent a letter requesting them earlier in the day. The letter, signed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Marc O. Litt, did not explain why the bail conditions needed to be tightened.
Madoff, 70, a former Nasdaq stock market chairman, has become one of the most vilified people in America since word broke last week that he allegedly plundered $50 billion from investors.
The changes eliminated a curfew established this week that allowed Madoff to leave his Manhattan apartment during the day. Now, he will be confined to his apartment at all times, except for court appearances.
The order calls for Madoff’s wife to pay for a security firm to provide 24-hour video monitoring of Madoff’s apartment doors. It also requires communications devices and services enabling the firm to send a direct signal from an observation post to the FBI if there is an “appearance of harm or flight.”
“The security firm will provide additional guards available on request if necessary to prevent harm or flight,” the order said.
Madoff’s lawyer, Ira Lee Sorkin, said the order “speaks for itself.”
This article was posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 3:20 pm