MUMBAI, India (CNN) — The only surviving suspect in the deadly attacks on Mumbai has reportedly given up information, including his name, the identity of his father and details on a three-month training stint in Pakistan, Indian police said Wednesday.
The claims — likely to heighten tensions with Pakistan, which has repeatedly denied allegations of involvement in the siege that left 179 dead — came as police defused a bomb at Mumbai’s main station, one of the first targets of the attacks.
Raising the stakes further, India’s foreign minister said Wednesday after a meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that his country would consider all options “to protect its territorial integrity” if Pakistan refuses to hand over wanted terrorist suspects.
Rice called on Pakistan to take responsibility for terrorists that are operating within its borders, questioning Pakistani claims that the country bore no responsibility.
Mumbai Joint Police Commissioner of Crime Rakesh Maria told CNN the only surviving attacker had been identified as Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, 21, from the village of Okara in Pakistan’s Punjab province.
Maria said the suspect identified himself as the son of Mohammed Amir Kasab, adding that he had spent the last 18 months at training camps run by Lashkar-e-Tayyiba — a Pakistan-based terror group allied with al Qaeda.
This article was posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 12:50 pm