- Infowars - http://www.infowars.com -
Revealed: How Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages
Posted By Adan On July 11, 2013 @ 1:20 pm In Big Brother,Old Infowars Posts Style,Tile | Comments Disabled
Glenn Greenwald, Ewan MacAskill, Laura Poitras,
Spencer Ackerman and Dominic Rushe
July 11, 2013
Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users’ communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company’s own encryption, according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian.
The files provided by Edward Snowden illustrate the scale of co-operation between Silicon Valley and the intelligence agencies over the last three years. They also shed new light on the workings of the top-secret Prism program, which was disclosed by the Guardian and the Washington Post last month.
The documents show that:
• Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;
• The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;
• The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;
• Microsoft also worked with the FBI’s Data Intercept Unit to “understand” potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases;
• Skype, which was bought by Microsoft in October 2011, worked with intelligence agencies last year to allow Prism to collect video of conversations as well as audio;
• Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a “team sport”.
Article printed from Infowars: http://www.infowars.com
URL to article: http://www.infowars.com/revealed-how-microsoft-handed-the-nsa-access-to-encrypted-messages/
Copyright © 2013 Infowars. All rights reserved.