Thursday, March 22, 2012
A man suspected of killing seven people in France has died in a frenzied shootout with police in his flat, ending a 32-hour siege.
Mohammed Merah staged a dramatic last stand as he burst out of a bathroom and fired wildly at officers, before jumping out of a window while still shooting.
The gunman was found dead on the ground, French interior minister Claude Gueant told reporters.
The police unit “had never seen anything like it before,” Mr Gueant said, confirming two police officers were injured in the raid.
Merah had been holed up in the property in the southwestern city of Toulouse since an earlier police assault on Wednesday.
This article was posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 5:55 am