June 19, 2011
The 1,200 National Guard soldiers deployed to the US border with Mexico last year will remain on their jobs until late September, a US official said Friday.
The administration has now “extended the temporary deployment of National Guard personnel… through September 30, 2011,” Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matthew Chandler told AFP.
The extension keeps the soldiers three months beyond their original withdrawal date.
President Barack Obama sent the National Guards soldiers to the border last year to help crack down on smuggling and drug trafficking.