November 22, 2010
- A d v e r t i s e m e n t
WikiLeaks is planning to release more than 3 million confidential documents in its biggest release yet, the whistle-blowing site announced Monday via its Twitter feed.
“Next release is 7x the size of the Iraq War Logs. Intense pressure over it for months. Keep us strong,” the organization tweeted, along with a link to make a donation to WikiLeaks.
WikiLeaks did not specify what the release would be about, and it has not provided a date or time frame for the leak, though a recent tweet said “the coming months will see a new world, where global history is redefined.”
This would mark the third time WikiLeaks has leaked a significant amount of secret information. In July, it unloaded around 90,000 secret documents pertaining to the war in Afghanistan. Last month, WikiLeaks dropped nearly than 400,000 secret Iraq war documents in what it said was the largest leak of confidential military information in U.S. history. The Iraq War Logs cover the occupation from 2004-2009 and include reports tens of thousands of previously undisclosed civilian deaths and accusations of torture by Iraqi soldiers and police.
Prior to the two major releases, WikiLeaks dropped the “Collateral Death” video, infamous footage that reportedly focused on the U.S. cover-up of civilian casualties.
Monday’s announcement comes after allegations of sexual misconduct resurfaced once again for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. On Thursday, the Swedish government issued an international warrant for Assange’s arrest on charges of rape and molestation. Assange has denied the charges.
Another warrant was issued for Assange in August after Swedish courts indicted Assange on charges of raping two women. However, a judge threw out the charges later that week due to insufficient evidence.
Read entire article