The Department of Homeland Security uncovered more than 60 cross-border tunnels along the southwest border that were used to smuggle people and illicit drugs into the United States over a five-year period, according to a new government report.

The agency also detected more than 530 “ultralight aircraft” intrusions into the United States and roughly 300 drug smuggling incidents involving small fishing boats and recreational vessels along American borders from 2011 to 2016, the Government Accountability Office reported.

All 67 tunnels discovered by border patrol agents were located along the U.S.-Mexican border. Likewise, all but one of the light aircraft incursions was detected on the southwest border in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas.

A majority—nearly 76 percent—of the 309 maritime drug smuggling incidents involving fishing boats occurred on the West Coast, while the remaining 24 percent took place on the southeast coast, northeast coast, and southwest border.

Read more

The Reopen America Back to School Special is now live! Save up to 60% on our most popular items!

Related Articles