Monday, January 23, 2012
Unfortunately, the source of this story is the Daily Mail. What’s worse is that I’m not able to find any other source that doesn’t reference the Daily Mailpiece. It says that the mass burial took place on Wednesday (January 18, 2011).
This is not a new practice.
I found this, from last year:
After uncovering the desecration scandal at Burr Oak Cemetery in 2009, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart on Thursday called for legislation to reform indigent burials in Cook County.
Dart pointed to complaints at Homewood Memorial Gardens, which has held the county contract for indigent burials since 1980. He cited babies being buried 10 to 15 to a box, some with animal remains.
“From a law enforcement standpoint, it’s disturbing,” Dart said. “From a human standpoint, it’s appalling.”
Is this just par for the course in the U.S. now? The new normal? Nothing to see here?
Via: Daily Mail:
It’s a practice more closely associated with third world countries, but in bleak times in a Chicago-area suburb, 30 people were buried in a mass grave on Wednesday.
The pauper’s burial section at Homewood Memorial Gardens was established for those who could not afford to pay for a burial plot.
And it is a problem that’s sweeping America as tough economic times have led to an increase in the number of indigent burials the morgue must perform.
The Emergency Election Sale is now live! Get 30% to 60% off our most popular products today!