Daniel Dombey
Financial Times
June 29, 2010

  • A d v e r t i s e m e n t
  • {openx:49}

Henry Kissinger, the former US secretary of state, has warned that Washington’s plan to begin handing over responsibility to national forces in Afghanistan in July next year “provides a mechanism for failure”.

In an interview with the Financial Times after President Barack Obama’s decision to remove General Stanley McChrystal as commander of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan, Mr Kissinger said the public “must be prepared for a long struggle” in what is already the US’s longest war.

Mr Kissinger said Mr Obama needed to rethink the deadline and the way the Afghan strategy had been designed since, in his view, its goals were too ambitious and too focused on a Kabul government with limited influence in the rest of the country.

Read entire article

The Emergency Election Sale is now live! Get 30% to 60% off our most popular products today!


Related Articles


Comments