A Koch-funded senator wants Republicans to support a “third option” against Trump, confirming GOP strategist Roger Stone’s revelation that the Koch Bros. want Mitt Romney to enter the race if Marco Rubio fails.
“I sincerely hope we select one of the other GOP candidates, but if Donald Trump ends up as the GOP nominee, conservatives will need to find a third option,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) said, who’s 2014 senatorial campaign was bankrolled by the Koch Bros.
This so-called ‘third option’ pushed by Sasse was actually conceptualized by the Koch Bros. during a meeting with the Rubio campaign Thursday in which they pledged support for Rubio – and for Romney to enter the race if Rubio implodes.
“$75 million to stop Trump and $25 million to Marco Rubio, but they gave Rubio a condition: he’s got to win the Florida primary or he’s out and Mitt Romney’s in,” Stone revealed. “That’s the plan.”
“First they’ll ramp up an enormous, negative campaign on TV against Trump and they’re going to hit this phony Trump University issue,” he continued. “They claim to have personal dirt on Trump – I doubt that – and they are also going to try and delve into his business affairs, but if Rubio fails to grab the Florida primary, then Rubio’s out and Mitt Romney’s in.”
Sasse previously attacked Trump during a speech to 500 establishment donors attending a Koch Bros. network meeting in Jan.
“He went on to try explain Trump’s popularity with the GOP base to donors — many of whom have been dumbfounded by the billionaire’s rise and how to take him down,” Buzzfeed reported. “Sasse campaigned with Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio in Iowa last week in an effort to get a GOP presidential nominee other than Trump.”
Interestingly, Buzzfeed said it one of six media organizations who covered the speech “after agreeing to a set of ground rules proposed by the [Koch] network, including not identifying the donors attending unless they agreed to an interview.”
Watch the full interview with Roger Stone below: