As yet, no confirmation has been made by German authorities of the veracity of the threats made in Hanover tonight.
— CNN Newsroom (@CNNnewsroom) November 17, 2015
Suspicious device found in Hanover train station in addition to device found close to stadium: NTV reporter on CNN. https://t.co/2qllmMpCBs
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) November 17, 2015
— Sputnik (@SputnikInt) November 17, 2015
At a press conference in Hanover earlier, the German interior minister, Thomas de Maizière, said that the decision to call off the match was made after “an increase in tip-offs in the early evening”, but refused to comment further on the source and extent of the threat.
De Maizière told reporters:
It was an extremely tough decision to cancel the match, which was made after many pieces of information indicated a concrete threat.
Earlier on Tuesday – before the alert – De Maizière had told a press conference that the security situation in Germany was critical and the chances of an attack on German soil “very high”.