March 8, 2012
A top US official has revealed that the Pentagon is “very worried” about the prospects of a military confrontation with Iran, despite the escalating war threats emanating from Washington and Tel Aviv.
“[The] military is very worried about what they’re confronting with budget cuts and are just not anxious to take on another war,” Lee Hamilton, a member of the US Homeland Security Advisory Council, said in an interview with Politico on Tuesday.
- A d v e r t i s e m e n t
“They see the difficulty of this situation from a military standpoint, not only the attack itself but sustaining the attack over a period of days, if not weeks. … A very powerful factor here is what the Pentagon now calls persistent conflict or endless war. We have, in effect, been at war for 10 years, at least since 9/11,” the former US congressman added.
Last month, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey also said a potential Israeli military attack on Iran would be “destabilizing.”
“It’s not prudent at this point to decide to attack Iran,” Dempsey said, adding that the US government is confident the Israelis “understand our concerns.”
The United States, Israel, and some of their allies accuse Iran of pursuing military objectives in its nuclear energy program.
In an interview with the Atlantic magazine last Friday, US President Barack Obama said the US is “not taking any option off the table” in its purported bid to stop Iran’s nuclear energy program.
“It includes a military component. And I think people understand that,” Obama added.
Iran has repeatedly refuted the Western allegations regarding its nuclear energy program, arguing that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
Also, support your body by getting all the vitamins and minerals you need with the Ultra 12 and Vitamin Mineral Fusion Combo Pack now at 50% off!