The opening salvo of the Saudi war on Shia Islam in Yemen is turning out to be a disaster for the average Yemeni.
“Disturbing” reports of civilian casualties in Yemen, Red Cross says. http://t.co/6uCr79APEX
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) March 31, 2015
— AmnestyInternational (@amnesty) March 31, 2015
Indiscriminate bombing is resulting in “disturbing reports of civilian casualties,” according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
“Every effort must be made to protect civilian life and property from attacks,” the ICRC said.
According to news reports, the Saudis bombed a refugee camp in at Haradh, killing 40 people, including women and children.
The Independent reports today:
The International Organization for Migration said 40 people were killed and 200 wounded, while Doctors Without Borders said at least 34 injured people were brought to a hospital in Haradh which it supports and a further 29 were dead on arrival.
In addition to targeting civilians, the Saudis are reportedly engaging in other war crimes as they battle the Shia Houthi.
Members of the Saudi-led coalition are preventing a plane carrying medical supplies from landing in Sanaa, a spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross told Reuters on Tuesday.
The United Nations has also expressed alarm over the number of civilians killed during the Saudi offensive.
“The situation in Yemen is extremely alarming, with dozens of civilians killed over the past four days,” said Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights. “The country seems to be on the verge of total collapse.”
In addition to violating Yemen’s national sovereignty and killing civilians, the Saudi “Decisive Storm” offensive last week imposed a naval blockade on the country.
Saudi Arabia Imposes Naval Blockade On Red Sea Strait, Deploys 150,000 Troops As Iran Condemns Military Action http://t.co/Nr4UR0L7v8
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) March 26, 2015
Moreover, the closure of airports in Sana’a, Aden, and Hodeida have prevented international aid from reaching the victims of the Saudi military operation. The Russians have also voiced concern over the rapidly evolving situation.
“We are deeply concerned about the situation in Yemen” – FM Lavrov http://t.co/i1RfNtmdia
— Ruptly (@Ruptly) March 31, 2015