January 27, 2014
1) Aggressive/continuous recruitment by leadership/members
2) Loyalty oaths/membership applications/agreements/contracts required
3) Minimum money/resource/labor/attendance commitments required
4) Charismatic/charming leadership personality (by one person, or an impenetrable core group)
5) Autocratic/authoritarian leadership style (by one person, or an impenetrable core group)
6) Top-down/hierarchical/pyramidal command/control structure – sometimes all the way down to the individual level (cf. “shepherding movement”)
7) Everyone is “positive” and “friendly” – other attitudes/emotions disallowed
8 ) Culture of consensus/shunning – questioning/bucking authority disallowed – non- conformists pushed out via peer pressure and/or formally expelled via great fanfare (i.e. made an “example” of)
9) Busywork – continuous/increasing performance of tasks/duties required, no matter how trivial/time-consuming/futile
10) Isolation – a pervasive “Us vs. Them” mentality required – “outsiders” are shunned (even family and friends), especially former members and contacts who are resistant to recruitment
This post first appeared in the Health category.
All of the views expressed are not necessarily endorsed by Infowars.com.