A crowdfunding campaign initiated by Wikileaks Thursday is attempting to raise $50,000 for anyone with footage of last week’s U.S. airstrike on a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan.
The bombing, which took the lives of 22 people at a Doctors Without Borders hospital, was originally blamed on Afghan forces before U.S. military officials altered the story four times and accepted responsibility.
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 8, 2015
As noted by Wikileaks, the AC-310 aircraft responsible for the strike use high-resolution cameras to both record and store video footage of military engagements.
“The AC-130 records its attacks with high resolution gun cameras,” Wikileaks stated. “According to military procedure, this footage should have been retained along with the cockpit audio.”
Speaking with reporters in Geneva this week, Doctors Without Borders international chief Joanne Liu spoke out against the Obama administration’s plan to probe the bombing with U.S. investigators.
“We cannot rely on internal military investigations by the U.S., NATO and Afghan forces,” Liu said. “If we let this go, we are basically giving a blank check to any countries at war.”
Liu, who received an apology from President Obama five days after the attack, is instead demanding an independent investigation by the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission.
“We received President Obama’s apology today for the attack against our trauma hospital in Afghanistan,” Liu said in a statement. “However, we reiterate our ask that the U.S. government consent to an independent investigation led by the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission to establish what happened in Kunduz, how it happened, and why it happened.”
Doctors Without Borders, which has labeled the airstrike a potential war crime, also notes that the attack continued for 30 minutes after U.S. and Afghan officials were notified that the hospital was being bombed.
The Emergency Election Sale is now live! Get 30% to 60% off our most popular products today!